1. What does ‘Angel' mean?
The Bible was written in Hebrew (Old Testament) and Greek (New Testament) Both use the words
'angel' and it means messenger. It also means an ambassador of human affairs, that is speaks in the
place of one who has sent him.
- Extra Info:
Homer used the word 'angel' to be the messager of the gods. And who escort the soul to hades.
2. What else are angels called?
Sons of God - Job 1:6; Psm 89:6 Dan 3:25 (A better English translation may be heavenly beings)
Hosts of heaven - 1 Kings 22:19
God's ministers - Psm 103:21
4. What is an Archangel?
'Archangel' is only found in the New Testament at 1 Thess.4:16 and Jude 9. The idea is also seen in
Rev. 8:2 and 7f, 8:10-12; Rev 9:1 and 13; Rev 11:15. Considered to be a postiion of authority among
angels. (Outside of the Bible some writings before and around the time of Jesus believed that Gabriel
was at the left hand of God- However, THIS IS NOT taught in Scripture - but said to give you insight to beliefs at the time of Jesus)
6. Did people believe in other Archangels
Yes. But these are not mentioned in the Bible. (Thus are NOT in the word of God)
Raphael Tobit 3:17 (This is not from the Bible but the Apocgrapha)
Sariel (Not in the Bible but mentioned in the Qumran Community)
7. What does the Bible say about the Archangel Michael?
Michael means possibly "Who is like God "In the Book of Daniel he had special responsibilities as the
champion of Israel against the rival angel of the Persians (Daniel 10:13,20) and he leads the heavenly
armies against all supernatural forces of evil in the last battle (Daniel 12:1)
In the New Testament he mentions in Jude 9 and Rev.12:7 where we are taught that Michael disputed
with the devil over the body of Moses. In Rev 12:7 the theme of Dan 12:1 is taken up, presenting Michael as the vanquisher of the Dragon, (Satan)
9. What are Cherubim?
These angels that traits of God and animals see. Gen 3:24 Ezek 1:5-12 Ez 10:19-22 Ez 11:22 Psalm
10. What are Seraphim?
Angels with 6 wings. -Isaiah 6:2
12. Did people believe in angels at the time of Jesus?
We had two main Jewish group
Pharisees who did
Sadducees who did not. Acts 23:8
13. Have angels always existed?
No. They are created by God. Job 4:18 and Job 15:15
14. Can angels sin?
Yes. Satan was an angel. Job 4:18 and Job 15:15
15. How many angels are there?
Countess -Matthew 26:53
Did angels have anything to do with the giving of the law?
Yes. - Gal 3:19; Acts 7:53; Hebrews 2:2
17. What do angels do in heaven?
Praise God Job 1:6 and Is 6:2f
Share in God's joy. Luke 15:7
Stand in the presence of God Matthew 18:10
18. Does the Bible say anything about guardian angels?
Yes! Hebrew 1:14 and Matthew 18:10.
19. Does the Bible mention "national" guardian angels?
Some would see that Michael is the Guardian Angel of Israel. Dan. 10:13;20.
21. How many times is angel used in the New Testament?
51 in Matthew Mark and Luke
21 in Acts
67 in Revelation
In 2 Cor. 12:7 It is used to possibly personify a disease.
22. Was Jesus ever helped by angels?
Yes. Matt 1:20; 2:13; 2:19; 28:2 and 5; Mark 1:13; Luke 1:19; 2:9,13; 22:43; John 1:51; Acts 1:10
25. Is Jesus superior to angels?
Yes in every way!
Mark 13:27; Hebrews 1:4-14; Phil 2:9ff
26. Do angels mediate God's judgment?
Yes. -Acts 12:23
27. Did the angels act on behalf of the Apostles?
Yes. -Acts 5:19; Acts 12:7-10
28. Do angels reveal the will of God?
Acts 8:26; Acts 10:3-8 and Acts 27:27f
29. What do angels think about?
Mainly praise to God, Jesus and Salvation. Ephesians.1:20f; Phil 2:9ff
31. What is better than the language of angels?
Love. 1 Corinthians 13:1
32. Can angels in heaven or fallen angels separate
us from God?
No! No creature or angel can separate us from the love of God. Romans 8:38; Gal 4:3
33. Should we worship angels?
NO!! Col 1:15ff 2:18; Rev 19:10; Rev 22:8ff
34. Who is the ‘Angel of the Lord'?
These may denoted times when God appeared in human form Gen.16:7-14; Gen 22:11-15; Exodus 3:2;
Judges 2:1ff; Judges 5:23; Judges 6:11-24; Judges 13:3ff. These appearances are also called